Skip to main content

How I can keep my husband here who had a b-1 but then we got married and they said he was to go back to his country?

Northridge, CA |

Hello. Hope you are well. My case is very complicated but ill try to describe it the best way I can. Mohamed came to the u.s. last year on a ten year business visa. We met in May, fell in love, and we were married in march 2013. We did not file any paperwork because Mohamed did not express any concern for obtaining us citizenship and wanted to keep his business visa. On his business visa he has to leave every six months so when the date came he left as expected. When he came back to the us, the border patrol found out he was married and talked to me. They then told him that he had to leave the country now that he was married and his business visa was finished. I pleaded with them to let him through and he was my husband and they gave him one month with an unadjustable status stamp.

We met in may 2012 and married march 2013. I called us immigration and they said to contact border patrol in Washington, D.C.!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

More information is required to answer your question. It might be possible for him to adjust his status without leaving the US, but you should schedule a consultation with with an immigration attorney and show the original documents, including your husband's passport, visa and I-94. You should act fast!

DISCLAIMER: The information appearing here is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to provide legal advice to any individual or entity. We urge you to contact us at (310) 988-5092 or or consult with your own legal advisor before taking any action based on information appearing here.


This is not a family law question. It is an immigration question. I will redirect this question so you can get those attorneys to answer.


Only very general answers can be given through Avvo. As you state, you case is complicated. You need to retain an experienced immigration attorney to review all the facts and determine what can be done

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


The case you are presenting is much too fact specific and complex to be meaningfully answered in a general forum such as Avvo. You need to consult with a competent immigration lawyer in your area for this.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer