Skip to main content

How hard is it to obtain another F1 Visa ?

Dallas, TX |

I've overstayed my F1 Visa with more than 5 months so I couldn't file a reinstatement, now i am back at my home country, and I want to know If I will be able to get another F1 visa to continues my studies in the USA or not.
Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your overstay will make it extremely difficult to get another F-1 student visa.

Please see

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Your previous overstay and it's length will pretty much make it impossible to obtain a new F-1 visa, am afraid.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Difficult but not impossible.

Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer