Skip to main content


Chicago, IL |

I was granted ASYLUM and got a green card through asylum . it is already been 2 years that i am permanent of USA.

i have heard that asylum who got green card can apply for a USA citizen in 3 years . is it true or false?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


False. You may apply after 5 years (actually 4 years and 9 months) of permanent residence

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


You are eligible to become a US Citizen after being a permanent resident for 5 years. You may apply for naturalization 3 months prior to your 5 year anniversary.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


I agree with my colleagues.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer