Skip to main content


Alhambra, CA |

I am a green card permanent resident card holder for well over 4 yrs. I am married to an American citizen. I am from the Philippines. I'd like my 1st cousin to join me here in the US. She is married in the Philippines and has 2 kids of her own..

WHAT'S THE FASTEST and the SOONEST she can join me here ? what type of Visa does she need or what can I do to expedite the process ??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Unfortunately, there is no way for you to do a family petition for your cousin, even if you become a U.S. citizen. Permanent residents can only do family petitions for their spouses and unmarried children. U.S. citizens can file family petitions for their spouses, children, parents, and siblings. If she has another family member in the U.S. who qualifies to petition for her, they can start that process. Otherwise, her only other option would be to find an employer to sponsor her for a visa.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.


Unfortunately there are no cousin visas. More information about your cousin is needed to determine if there are any alternative pathways to immigrating.


You cannot sponsor a cousin.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Sorry, there is no option to petition her as your cousin. There may be other options available to her though, but it would require a review of her background as well as any opportunities available to her. Speak to an immigration attorney.

(626) 771-1078 Los Angeles Attorney Theodore Huang, Esq. This is not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is established. Attorney Huang is licensed in MD; practice limited to federal law.


You're out of luck on this one. No current pathway for her to come here unless she's able to invest some money in the U.S.

Best of luck,

-Sanjay A. Paul, Esq.
(626) 993-6725

This is not legal advice. No attorney client relationship exists between us.