Skip to main content

How far behind in payments does a case have to be for enforcement to occur, or to classify as a felony?

Tampa, FL |

My ex-husband has skipped back and forth from Florida to Ohio multiple times without notifying the courts, and now resides in Ohio. Ohio is currently handling enforcement, though he's been there for 2 years skipping payments with zero consequences. He is now over 10,000 behind, and the CSEA has had his residential and employment info for over a year. When I contact them, they refuse to respond to me and refer me to the Florida Department of Revenue. The DOR tells me they can only send an inquiry to Ohio and wait 30 days for a response, which they have never received in 2 years of trying. I feel abandoned by a broken system. Any advice? Any idea when I can expect support, or enforcement?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I understand your frustration as I used to work for the AG enforcing DOR, CSE Orders. Since he is now in Ohio, the Order must be enforced in Ohio. You can hire an Ohio and Florida barred Attorney to cut through the red tape and I do know one, but short of hiring a private attorney, you are at the mercy of the government. In Florida, you can bring criminal charges for every $5,000 of arrears, but not sure about Ohio. Best of luck to you.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272


The best thing to do is not rely upon the government, hire a private attorney.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,


I agree with my colleagues, the delay with the government attempting to resolve this for you vs. a private attorney may make it worthwhile to obtain private counsel. If you retain counsel in Ohio, where he is located, that should be the quickest way to proceed against him. Best of luck.

This answer is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon for your particular case nor is it intended as legal advice. I have not reviewed your case nor have I met with you and the answer to this question does not in any manner whatsoever establish an attorney/client relationship.


Ohio will have to enforce the order. The child support collection system is totally overwhelmed so you may or may not get money.


I think that finding an attorney licensed in both states is an excellent idea and will truly help you navigate both systems as well as possible. Good luck.

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer