How far back can a employer go on a criminal background check in Pennsylvania

Willow Grove, PA |

I was criminally convicted of felonies in 1998 how far back can Pennsylvania employer go back on a background check

The employer can look at whatever is public record. Whether they decline to hire you based on a conviction depends on the position you applied for your record.

I represent men and women in employment matters and for record expungements and pardons. A Felony conviction is PA must be pardoned before it can be expunged.

Please contact me at your convenience, for no charge, if you would like to discuss this further. I am located in Montgomery county.

I will serve as someone's attorney only after a written agreement has been reviewed and signed. Please feel free to contact me at (610) 393-3868 if you would like more information or to inquire about my services.

If you were convicted of Pennsylvania felonies, your employer will be able to see it. They cannot be expunged by a court under current Pennsylvania law. Your only avenue of relief at this point is to file for a pardon with the Governor's office. That can take quite some time and has no guarantee of success.

However, if you were convicted in another state, then there may be expungement remedies available.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. This answer is provided for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice and it does not create an attorney/client relationship. More importantly, the information contained in this answer should not be relied on. You should consult an attorney who practices in the relevant area of the relevant jurisdiction.