Skip to main content

How easy is it to get full custody of my child?

Austin, TX |

My ex-girlfriend and I are moving apart and we need to decide who will get custody of our kid. I don’t think she is stable and was wondering how much more difficult it is being granted sole custody versus joint custody?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If your ex-girlfriend agrees, there is little difference in the degree of difficulty. On the other hand, if she disputes it, is usually a lot more difficult! Now would be a good time for you to consult with a local attorney and review all your rights, options and obligations before you take any further action. You can find attorneys by searching among the profiles here on Avvo. Good luck!

If you found this answer helpful, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" once you've received sufficient responses to your question.

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.


You or your ex-girlfriend will need to file a Suit Affecting the Parent Child Relationship. Depending on your living situation you may want to act quickly since there are currently no "rules" in place if there is no pre-existing court order. The absence of a court order can be problematic since you and your ex-girlfriend will need to work out an informal agreement between the two of you and this historically leads to problems that can otherwise be avoided by hiring an attorney and filing a lawsuit.

No attorney client-relationship is created by the above communication. You should always consider contacting an attorney with the details of your case in order to receive the most useful and accurate information.