Skip to main content

How due I file/can I file a Federal Tort Claims Act suit against the U.S. federal Gov’t?

Goodyear, AZ |

I believe that I may be able to file under Federal Tort Claims Act 28 USC § 2680 against federal law enforcement officers for false imprisonment, false arrest, abuse of process, malicious prosecution, libel, trespass, and invasion of privacy. On November 15th of 2010, my vehicle was illegally searched and items were illegal sized by Defense Logistics Agency Federal Officers. Defense Logistics Agency is a sub-component of the Department of Defense. I was held and detained/arrest for three hours and issued five criminal citations and released. This I believe was done against me as I was about to report (whistle blowing) several of these federal officers involved to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

I need help / representation if possible.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Find an experienced civil rights attorney in your area. The reason is that in the not too distant past one could never sue the government under the theory of sovereign immunity. That has changed. But, in granting the ability to sue, the government has established a mandatory legal and procedural matrix that only an experienced attorney can penetrate.

My office has handled such cases with success. They're a challenge.

You have allowed nearly two years to go by since the incident. If you are serious, you need to set up a consultation with an attorney who has handled such claims ASAP. If you think I am exagerating the procedural complexities, you need to read the statute itself at 28 U.S.C. 1346(b).


Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.



Thank you for your advise. I have been attempting to find attorneys in my area for the past year and a half and have always run across those who do not handle such cases. I am making a last ditch effort to find an attorney now before I simply do it myself.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer