Skip to main content

How does USCIS define " living with the same U . S citizen for the last three year " for N - 400 .

Los Angeles, CA |

im filing N400 based on 3 years rules , we have been married for almost 5 years and living together with my wife , I'm not sure how USCIS define " living together " , does it mean 24 * 7 my wife used to go to visit her mom for a month or two every year . we have all the documents together for the last 4 year like ( lease , bank accounts , credit cards , Tax . . . . ) . Please help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Just use the common sense definition and you should be fine. Best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St., Ste. 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174


Vacations are fine. There is no magic definition of "living together." You are probably fine based on what you have indicated above.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


I agree with my colleague ... common sense 'rules' apply.

Not it isn't 24/7. As long as she comes back to your 'family home' when she's done visiting her mother.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


It means that you are in a marital relationship and not separated.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer