Skip to main content

How does the voluntary departure process work?

Upland, CA |

My fiance had court yesterday and lost but the judge granted him voluntary departure until 02/06/13, i know we have to purchase his plane ticket for him but as far as his passaport is ICE in charge of getting that? Do i need to get in contact with his ICE Agent? any help please let me know this is a very stressful time.Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If ICE has the passport, you must meet with them to arrange for returning it so they can comply with voluntary departure.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


strange that VD was granted without a valid passport/travel document. Yes, contact ICE. Once back home, he will also need to register at the consulate. But I would see an immigration attorney now to see what if anything can be done and whether the case can be appealed. Was he represented?

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


Coordinate with ICE on the passport/travel document issue. You might also want to consult with an immigration attorney about the possibility of filing an appeal.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer