How does return of a security deposit work in Wisconsin?

Fond Du Lac, WI |

I recently moved from Wisconsin to Minnesota and moved out early from previous apartment in Wisconsin. Two applications for apartments I applied for in Minnesota were denied due to errors from the Wisconsin apartment management company - plus, it has been over 21 days since I vacated the apartment and I have not received my security deposit. They did send a letter within 21 days notifying me that I owed a balance, also an error on their end which they acknowledged. As they made an error initially and further delayed the return of my deposit, am I still entitled to the initial 21 day window? Also, I was informed today they will not be sending until next week which means it will be even further over the 21 day window.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

If you breached the lease by moving out early, then the 21 day window begins when a new tenant moves into the premises. So, the landlord may still have the opportunity to return the security within 21 days.

Legal disclaimer: No attorney-client relationship is formed by this communication. Any recommendation/information given through Avvo should be considered only as opinion.