Skip to main content

How does one apply for Social Security Disability Benefits for children in Texas?

Austin, TX |

In our special needs class, there are two children, one with cerebral palsy (age 8) and another with mental retardation (age 9). The parents are interested in knowing how to apply for Social Security Disability Benefits for their children. They are low income and have language barrier.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

These children may be eligible for Child's Supplemental Security Income (SSI) based on the combination of their medical problems and their families' financial statuses. Social Security has a "starter kit" telling you what information should be gathered before the application which you can read and print from here:

I don't know if the kit is available in other languages, but if the families want to file applications, they should be able to get help with their language barriers at the local Social Security office, by filing the application in person there, or on the phone with Social Security, by calling 1-800-772-1213. Spanish speakers are available easily at the 1-800 number, and they can accommodate pretty much any language upon request, although it may take them a little longer.

Jeremy Bordelon is a licensed attorney in the State of Tennessee only, and is authorized to practice in all Tennessee State and Federal courts, and before the Social Security Administration in any jurisdiction. The answers provided on are for information purposes only, and should not be relied on as legal advice. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. In some jurisdictions, this answer may be construed as attorney advertising.


best bet is to go to the local SS office and simply apply in person. they may set up a later appointment (by phone or in person). but step one is to get to the office and tell them you want to apply for the kids. they will likely set up an interpreter. and if you then need legal help, try, who can find you a SS lawyer in your area of the country.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer