Skip to main content

How does being laid off and forced to take a lower paying job affect my child support payments?

Tacoma, WA |

I'm currently an AD military member. Because of government cutbacks, I will likely lose my job and be forced to take a civilian job that pays less. How will this affect my child support payments? How can I demonstrate to the court that I'm not capable of making the same amount of money in the civilian sector?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Off topic but you might want to look into some of the oil rig jobs that are popping up in Colorado, North Dakota, etc. My brother in law is getting out of the army in a few months and a company has already given him a job offer to be a deck hand on a rig and starting pay is much more than he was making in the military. Good luck.


When your income is substantially reduced, you can file a motion to modify the child support. See my AVVO Legal Guides on child support for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Please keep in mind that although my AVVO Answers and Legal Guides are often informative, they are no substitute for legal advice from an attorney you have retained for consultation or representation. There are always exceptions to the general rules. To find my Legal Guides, click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "Contributor Level - View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Contribution - Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 32 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful” or “best answer”. © Bruce Clement

©Bruce Clement. This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer