Skip to main content

How does Alabama law divide a federal (Veterans Administration) pension between a husband and wife.

Mobile, AL |

Marriage 1971, divorce 1998, only asset is federal pension. Husband employed by VA the entire marriage and retired in January 2010.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


In Alabama in general, a spouse who has been married for 10 or more years while a pension was earned can make a claim for up to 50% of it. However this should have been done in the Final Judgment of Divorce. You definitely need to see an attorney in order to review the terms of your divorce decree.

This is a general statement for public knowledge and not intended as legal advice, nor does it create an attorney client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer