Skip to main content

How does a private company sponsor me from B1/B2 visa to H1/L1 visa?

Jersey City, NJ |


I am from India and I am in USA on a B1/B2 visa status. I met the owner of a private event management company and we discussed a project for a new business. The owner agreed to sponsor me, so that we can be partners and do a business here. His current annual turnover is $ 0.5 million. The business that we planned is a wedding planner and event management and my educational background is Pharmacy Graduate from India and MBA-International Marketing from Toronto (Canada).

Is there any law, where this particular company can sponsor me and I can partner with them to start a new business or work under his company?

Kindly reply asap for the same.

Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You will not be able to get a temporary visa to own a business since India lacks E-1 trader and E-2 investor treaties with the U.S.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Whether or not this company can sponsor you depends on many facts. For example, the first inquiry should be whether or not it makes sense for a company of this size to hire for a specialty occupation position (i.e. a position that requires at least a bachelor's degree). Also you may be able partner with them to start a new business and have that business sponsor your H-1B. There are some important considerations when you own part of the sponsoring company, so the company must be established in a certain way. I strongly recommend that you work with an experienced immigration attorney either way. I'll be happy to help (202-454-2837).

The statement above does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is intended as general information only and it is not a substitute for legal advice. You should consult with a licensed attorney to discuss the specific facts and circumstances of your case.


Not on the facts you give.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.