Skip to main content

How does one go about filing for full temporary child custody at the beginning of a separation/divorce?

Loveland, CO |

"Baby mama" says she wants out. She has not moved out of the house yet, but has been absent for days without even attempting to see our 9 mo old son. (Should I move out?) I want to file with the courts for full immediate custody. She ha disappeared with the baby before. Want her to not be able to take my son. There is no doubt to anyone who knows us that I am the better parent. I know a permanent order will be decided by the courts down the road, but I want to be certain my son is cared for and I am not cut off from him in the meantime. What kind of filing is this and how do I do it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You need to sit down with a family law attorney right away and discuss your options. Short of emergency circumstances recognized by the law, there is no "full custody" remedy available in scenarios such as that which you described above. You need to seek an orer defining the allocation of parental responsibilities and the system is complex.

We would be happy to take a call from you at my firm -- the link is provided below.

Best of luck.


In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


Mr. Deasy is an excellent attorney and you might consider calling him or an attorney in Larimer County. Once you file for dissolution, you can ask the court to set a temporary orders hearing.+

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer