Skip to main content

How do you revoke a Durable Power of Attorney in Michigan?

Newberry, MI |

IS there a form to use??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No form. Make sure you tell the person who has power of attorney preferably in writing and everyone else that has seen it or relied on it.


Frequently, it is revoked by preparing a new Durable Power of Attorney (DPOA), specifically revoking all prior DPOAs. It is still a good idea to specifically communicate the revocation to your former agent and anyone else who may have received a copy of the original DPOA.


It depends a bit on the circumstances. If the POA is not yet effective and you have all the copies, then creating a new POA and tearing up the old copies is sufficient. If there are copies scattered around, then you need to be more diligent about notifying people of the changes.

If the POA is in effect, then you need to send a letter to the agent and anyone the agent has been dealing with, letting them know that the POA has been revoked. The agent is not authorized to act, once notified of the revocation. In order to make sure you are covered, a new POA should be executed, as soon as possible.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer