How do you prove someone is hacking into your computer, either legally or illegally?

Spokane, WA |

It is my belief that my internet use is being hacked by people in the community, and possibly even some law enforcement, for purposes such as taking advantage of me, and/or causing me and/or my family emotional distress. What should I do?

In addition, the apartment that I have been renting has been broken into several times by someone with a key. Some of my documents have been stolen from my apartment, and I think that is illegal. I also believe that my storage unit that I am renting with my personal belongings, and mothers estate items has been entered into without my permission. My mother recently passed away this year, and I was forced to bring her items to Spokane, (in above mentioned situation) in order receive any help at all. I am on SSDI.

Your query is vague about how you've been harmed, but if you're sure that your possessions have been stolen, report it to the police, and if your identity and confidential information has been misused, check your credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com. and if necessary, put a freeze on your credit. Take immediate steps to prevent any cyber or physical intrusion.

Whether you've been harmed yet or not, it wouldn't hurt to install a firewall, anti-virus protection, and malware and bot removers, such as spybot (which is free) on your computer.

For your apartment, change the locks. Same for your storage unit.

Disclaimer: I'm not licensed in WA. Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

You should not dismiss being hacked so easily. It might seem like nothing to you but it can be torturous every night. Not everyone has money to throw, buy another computer, virus programs, etc. It is a very serious issue and in this country and the rest of the world they will have to create laws punishing those that think it is okay to penetrate into someone's lives. I was targeted by an employer wanting to delete my payroll sheets, not paying taxes and monitoring me so I would not tell our investor they were both stealing his money! They made my life miserable, tormenting me by placing all my data illegally under their domain, putting man-in-the-middle, all kinds of viruses to keep them informed of all my emails and a myriad of hacking devices on my computer. I am now trying to prove legally how these horrible people almost gave me a heart attack night after night. If it happened to you then you would know what it means to be violated.

Pamela Koslyn

Pamela Koslyn

I hardly dismissed it, anonymous commenter. I gave a long detailed response. 2 years ago, apparently.

A computer forensic expert could potentially tell what has happened. They are expensive. You might be safest to stop using the internet.

Good security and firewall will stop all but the best of hackers from using your network. Stopping use of the Internet is the only way to completely stop it.

If you want to show someone is hacking in, you need a computer forensics expert. You may be able to have the Service Provider review your login information, but that is limited.

[This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

I need a Computer Forensics expert. How can I find one in Miami?