Skip to main content

How do you legitimize a child in Texas

Fort Worth, TX |

I'm just trying to figure what steps are taken for a father to legitimize a child in the state of Texas, and if the child isn't legitimized, does the father have any legal rights to that child?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I'm not really sure what you are asking? Were you married to the baby's father at the time the baby was born? If so, he will be the presumed father. Is the fighting paternity? You can do a paternity test to establish that. Either one of you can obtain an attorney to fight for custody of the child but if paternity is at issue I suggest you hire an attorney to help you with that. Good luck!

DISCLAIMER: This communication may be protected by the attorney/client privilege or work product privilege and may contain confidential information intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If it has been sent to you in error, please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error and delete this message. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, copying or other reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS EMAIL IN RESPONSE TO AN INQUIRY MADE THROUGH THE WEB SITE OF LAW OFFICES OF TIM POWERS; POWERS SHANKLIN, PLLC, YOU ARE ON NOTICE THAT THIS RESPONSE IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. YOU DO NOT HAVE AN ATTORNEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WITH LAW OFFICES OF TIM POWERS, POWERS SHANKLIN PLLC, OR ANY OF THE INDIVIDUAL ATTORNEYS IN THE OFFICE. THE RESPONSE TO THE INQUIRY IS INTENDED ONLY TO LET YOU DETERMINE IF YOU WANT TO HIRE THE FIRM. NO ATTORNEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL EXIST UNLESS AND UNTIL LAW OFFICES OF TIM POWERS, HAS ACCEPTED YOUR CASE, A WRITTEN FEE AGREEMENT IS SIGNED AND THE REQUIRED RETAINER FEE, IF ANY, HAS BEEN PAID.


Expanding off the previous answer, keep in mind that until paternity is established, the father has no real rights and duties under the law. Therefore, the father doesn't have set times of possession and access, but he also doesn't have a obligation to pay child support. It's hard to discern the exact route you should take without knowing more details. Talk to an attorney about this to ensure your rights, and the child's rights, are protected. Best of luck.


You must mean prove you are the father.... you need to file a paternity suit to prove you are the father and then request visitation. Be prepared to get hit with child support.

This answer is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice nor forming the attorney client relationship. This attorney is licensed in Texas.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer