Skip to main content

How do you know if your trespassing if you have not been served with papers but your name is on the wanted list

Norfolk, VA |

i looked on the wanted list for a friend of mine only to find my name up there for trespassing. i have not gotten any papers this is from five months ago. i am on probation my probation officer have not said anything to me. what do i do

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I don't understand wherein lies your confusion, the trespassing itself or the issuing of the warrant?

If you have been charged with trespassing and you have never been given notice of you being forbidden to be on that property, that is a defense to the charge.

If you were unaware that a warrant was issued, there is no crime in that. Eventually it will be served on you and you will be taken into custody.

You should speak with a local attorney for advice defenses to the charge and how to go about surrendering on the warrant.

Good luck.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

James Garrett
Garrett Law Group, PLC
(757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.


Hire local counsel and turn yourself in. Just because your probation officer does not know about charges doesn't mean a thing. Perhaps a neighbor or citizen swore out the warrant.

For More information about Attorney Pfeiffer see: The information contained in this message is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice, nor is it a substitute for professional legal services. Wolcott Rivers Gates disclaims the formation of an attorney-client relationship by use of AVVO, and no such relationship exists unless and until a written Fee Agreement has been endorsed by Wolcott Rivers Gates and the client. Furthermore, given the public nature of this forum, there can be no expectation of privacy, confidentiality, privilege, or any other protection from disclosure.


You need to speak to a criminal law attorney. Sometimes there are delays in serving the warrrant. But if you have been charged with trespass then eventually you are going to have to go to court. An attorney can advise you on how to proceed.