Skip to main content

How do you get sole costody granted when the father disappeared after he found out she was pregnant

Wawaka, IN |

my wife applied for a passport for her 15 year old son their is no father listed on the birth certificate they wont grant a passport because they need the fathers signature she has 90 days to get forms signed by someone she has no idea where he is can she get sole custody granted without fathers appearance

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


She could go to her county's prosecutor's office and sign up for the IV-D program. They will establish paternity and as part of that process, will likely get your wife sole custody if the father has had no interaction with the minor child.

This answer is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between the reader and Matthew R. Shipman. The information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with Mr. Shipman to discuss your specific legal issue.

Matthew R. Shipman
Bloom Gates Sigler & Whiteleather, LLP
119 S. Main Street
Columbia City, IN 46725
Telephone: (260) 248-8900
Fax: (260) 244-3913