Skip to main content

How do you get hearing date moved up to a sooner date in civil court?

Palm Springs, CA |

I need to know what paper I need to file to get a sooner court date.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Either ask the clerk to set it for an earlier date and then give notice of the new date or file an "ex parte application for an order shortening time" regarding the hearing in which at least one good reason is given in a declaration why the hearing should be advanced ahead of other cases.

Robert Stempler (please see DISCLAIMER below)

NOTICE: The above statements are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended as legal advice or advice of any sort for a specific case or legal matter. If you do not have a signed attorney-client fee agreement with the Consumer Law Office of Robert Stempler, APLC ("the Firm"), then until such written fee agreement is provided and signed by both a prospective client and attorney for a particular case, neither Mr. Stempler nor the Firm will represent you nor will they be your attorney in any matter and you remain responsible for retaining your own attorney and for compliance with any and all deadlines and for any statutes of limitations that may pertain to potential claims. Comments made on a public forum, such as, to not have any confidentiality because others may read them. If you desire a private consultation with Mr. Stempler that is confidential, please go to and submit a free eCase Review.



What is a good reason ?

Robert Harlan Stempler

Robert Harlan Stempler


Most judges deny such requests. I'd need to know the facts of why you want to advance the date to know if you have a good reason. Sincerely, Robert Stempler Phone: (760) 422-2200


It is actually an ex parte application to specially set hearing on motion (rather than an ex parte application for order shortening time for service of notice of motion). In your ex parte application, it is imperative for you to articulate specifically why you need the hearing sooner.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author (who is only admitted to practice law in the State of California). For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer