How do you get a prenuptial agreement done when getting married in the Dominican republic to a Dominican woman?

El Paso, TX |

I'm thinking about marrying my girlfriend. We have a 2 year old child. Shes from the Dominican republic and I'm a US citizen. If we get married, I want a prenuptial agreement. We are going to get married in the Dominican republic. How do we make the prenuptial agreement legal in the US? Do we have to go to the US embassy before we get married?

This is not an immigration question.

You should contact a family lawyer who is also familiar with the Dominican requirements.

I got married in the Dominican Republic. Thry provide a marriage certificate which completely valid in USA, you dont need to go to USA embassy to validate your marriage just translate your marriage certificate in english by notary public and thats is your proof of marriage . U can present it as proof as you are legally marriageit anywhere a

Anywhere u goand can use it for any legal process. u r already marriage , u dont to validate nothing in this country ,just translate it into english and notarize it... U are done. I hope this can help...

Not an immigration question.

IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

This is not an immigration question.

There is no question that your girlfriend needs to consult with an experienced immigration attorney about the best process for getting married, obtaining permanent residence and her ability to travel in and out of the United States. That same immigration attorney ought to have some familiarity with family law in your state because you will each need to obtain a separate family law attorney if the two of you want a premarital agreement and the immigration attorney will have to make sure that the agreement comports with aspects of immigration law, such as financial sponsorship liability.

The answer provided does not create an attorney-client relationship and is only based on the information submitted in the question. If other information were submitted, it could result in a different answer. Consult with an experienced immigration law attorney for legal advice.