Skip to main content

How do you get a divorce when you are unable to locate the spouse and have no way to trace him after 33 years of abandonment

Pasadena, TX |

I have not seen or heard from my husband for over 33 years when he abandonded my son and myself. I got a copy of our marriage certificate to get his social security number only to find out he had put an invalid number. The social security office would not give me his number or tell me if he was still living. His family has not seen or heard from him in over 40 years. I did not want him to be able come back after I have passed to take what should belong to my son. I also find I am now unable to access my 403b account for a loan unless I have him sign his permission or unless I have a divorce decree.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to hire an attorney to have him served by publication if you honestly have no way to locate him. After 33 years it's time you get this cleared up! ;) Good luck!

DISCLAIMER: This communication may be protected by the attorney/client privilege or work product privilege and may contain confidential information intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If it has been sent to you in error, please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error and delete this message. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, copying or other reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS EMAIL IN RESPONSE TO AN INQUIRY MADE THROUGH THE WEB SITE OF LAW OFFICES OF TIM POWERS; POWERS SHANKLIN, PLLC, YOU ARE ON NOTICE THAT THIS RESPONSE IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. YOU DO NOT HAVE AN ATTORNEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WITH LAW OFFICES OF TIM POWERS, POWERS SHANKLIN PLLC, OR ANY OF THE INDIVIDUAL ATTORNEYS IN THE OFFICE. THE RESPONSE TO THE INQUIRY IS INTENDED ONLY TO LET YOU DETERMINE IF YOU WANT TO HIRE THE FIRM. NO ATTORNEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL EXIST UNLESS AND UNTIL LAW OFFICES OF TIM POWERS, HAS ACCEPTED YOUR CASE, A WRITTEN FEE AGREEMENT IS SIGNED AND THE REQUIRED RETAINER FEE, IF ANY, HAS BEEN PAID.


I agree with Ms. Shanklin - 33 years is long enough, it's time! As stated in the previous answer, there are legal procedures in place that allow someone in your predicament to get divorced. You should speak with an attorney in your area so that you follow the correct steps to ensure everything is handled the right way. Best of luck.


You are going to need to file a petition then show the court why you should be allowed to serve him by publication... an attorney would really help with the process and you should certainly consult one. Good luck.

This answer is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice nor forming the attorney client relationship. This attorney is licensed in Texas.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer