Skip to main content

How do you deal with a Collection Agency (attorney office) that claims you owe for a debt that is not yours.

Dayton, OH |

A Cable company which I have never used at all is claiming I owe a debt to them. I told them they need to show me proof since I know it is not my debt and he told me he did not have to give me proof and continued to harass me. I now get recorded phone calls requesting a call back everyday.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


First, you have the right to request proof or 'validation' of the debt but the request must be in writing. Get the collector's mailing address and send a certified letter requesting proof. They are not allowed to contact you once they receive the letter until they provide you proof of the account. You can also request that they stop calling you- make sure you instruct them in your letter to stop calling. Keep a copy of the letter you send. Good luck.