How do you correct your credit with the bureaus if they won't talk to you?

Denver, CO |

I have a mistaken bankruptcy on my credit reports and I'm having trouble having it removed. Is there an attorney that can help with credit corrections?

Seek a consumer rights lawyer, you might have a Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) violation.

Also, challenges to inaccuracies in credit reports are not verbal, they just be in writing.

You need a consumer attorney. You can dispute this. If they do not remove after the dispute you will be able to sue them

Kazerouni Law Group, APC is a law firm concentrating its efforts in the area of consumer law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C. §§ 1692 et seq. (“FDCPA”), and California's Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, California Civil Code §§ 1788-1788.32 ("Rosenthal Act"). Our lawyers are specially trained in the Federal FDCPA, Consumer Defense, and other consumer related matters. Our goal is to protect you against unfair, deceptive and abusive debt collection practices. Creditors, professional debt collectors, and attorneys who violate the law are subject to paying damages, statutory penalties, and the consumer's attorneys fees and costs. If you feel you have been abused, deceived or treated unfairly, you may need a lawyer. We can be reached at 800-400-6808, or through one of the evaluation forms on this or at our own website at www.kazlg.com. The information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice or as forming an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship between the reader and Abbas Kazerounian has been formed. If you are in the State of California and would be interested in a formal free consultation either visit Kazerouni Law Group, APC website at www.kazlg.com or call me toll free at 800-400-6808.

I agree with my colleagues. A bit more information that may help you... here is a link on how you can dispute a credit report error: http://www.ohioconsumerhelp.com/sub/Dispute-page.jsp;jsessionid=00F4D95B0776C14ADD0226D505D83D0E

Keep copies of EVERYTHING and send in accordance with the instructions found on the link.

As my colleague aptly suggests, if you dispute and they don't remove the false information, contact a seasoned consumer advocate. Here is a website for the National Association of Consumer Advocates, which has an attorney search feature that may benefit you. Approximately one in four credit reports is estimated to have a serious error, such as yours. You have legal rights and the credit bureaus failure to comply with the law and report accurately about you can give rise to civil damages. More good news -- most advocates will assist you on a contingency/fee-shifting basis so help is a phone call away.

All the best to you!

NOTE: This Answer does not constitute legal advice. Every case is fact specific. To render a legal opinion, an attorney must engage in a consultation with a prospective client and review any pertinent documents. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship with Attorney Amy L. Wells or WELLS LAW OFFICE, INC.