Skip to main content

How do you change or add a relative as legal guardian in North Carolina?

Chapel Hill, NC |

If both parents of a child (recently 18 though) consent and wishes to add guardianship of a relative (uncle) to oversee the education of the child abroad (in NC) what is the most convenient method?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Probably by a consent custody order. Guardianship is a different situation and usually applies in different circumstances. Consult with a local family law attorney about the decision to send the child, the correct procedure and the language you want in the order. An agreement is usually not sufficient for education or medical decisions to be made by the caregiver

DISCLAIMER – Responding to inquiries on this site does not create an attorney client relationship between the responder and the inquirer, nor does it invoke any privilege on the part of the inquirer. The inquirer should recognize the limitations of the answers based on limited facts and is advised to seek legal counsel for more complete information and possible representation.


If the child is over 18, i don't understand why she would need a guardianship?


Unless the child has been found to be incompetent, she/he became an adult at the age of 18. I am curious to learn what is trying to be accomplished; emergency matters, residency?