Skip to main content

How do you appeal an increase in child support in Washington state?

Auburn, WA |

The grandmother of my child is the legal guardian, and I have visitation whenever the grandmother decides the child is available. The grandmother is on public assistance, and cares for another child from the same mother with no support from the father.
I just found out that my child support was increased.

I would like to appeal this, and need to know the process.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your chances would be better with an attorney. Within certain time limits, it is possible to move for reconsideration or appeal. If the time limits have passed, child support can be modified, in general, upon a showing of a substantial change in circumstances.

[In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.]


What do you mean you just found out it was increased? Did the mother file for an adjustment or a modification of child support? Was it done through the Superior Court or through DCS? How old is your child? Why is the grandmother the legal guardian? Do you have any custodial rights? If not, why not?

Jack Berner

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.