Skip to main content


Rye, NY |
Attorney answers 5


Get an attorney or an accountant to help you


You would need to file articles of organization with New York State Department of State and the meet the publication requirement by putting a notice in 2 newspapers, one weekly, and one daily, for 6 weeks. You should also have an operating agreement prepared. You can then transfer the property to the LLC by recording a new deed. An attorney can and should assist with all of this.


Roman Aminov, Esq.

Law Offices of Roman Aminov

Estate Planning - Elder Law - Probate

147-17 Union Turnpike | Flushing, New York 11367
P: 347.766.2685 | F: 347.474.7344 |

This answer does not constitute legal advice and no attorney client relationship has been formed. Before choosing a course of action, it is always advisable to seek the advice of an attorney in your area.


You really should have a business lawyer do this for you. While the forms that need to be filed with the estate are probably available online, this is not a no brainer. The Operating Agreement is something that should be given careful consideration and a boilerplate form may not do justice to your business. If you are intent on doing this, it makes sense to do it right. It should not be all that expensive.

For forms and MUCH more information, please see here:

Best of luck on your new venture!

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


I concur with everything my colleagues have said. I would add one sidenote, however, relative to the expense of forming one. Unlike some other jurisdictions, LLCs in New York have publication requirements. Depending on where you are located, this could significant increase the cost of forming an LLC. It's certainly not a determinative factor, and LLCs are still my model of preference for real estate, but it's something to be aware of.

If you find this answer useful, please mark it as "Helpful". Likewise, if you believe it is the most responsive, please mark it as the "Best Answer". The information provided herein is for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon or construed as legal advice or legal opinion. You should not rely upon the information provided at this site without seeking individual advice from an attorney. No attorney-client relationship can be assumed or created by this post.


My colleagues already pointed out that is money well spent using the services of an attorney for this matter.

From asset protection point of view, an LLC is an excellent tool for isolating the risk generated by a risky asset as an investment property. However, it will not protect you and your personal assets from lawsuits. A plaintiff may always try to pierce the corporate veil by holding you personally responsible by theories as negligence or gross negligence.

Therefore, and depending on the fair market value of your RE and the revenue it generates, and the total value of your personal assets, you may want to consider to put the sole propietorship of(or your share in) of your NY LLC in a Family Limited Partnership filed in astate with strong charging order rules as AZ. This FLP is a specifically designed for asset protection purposes and can hold directly your personal liquid assets as bank and brokerage accounts.

You also may want to consider an extensive umbrella policy. You definitely need to sit down with an estate planning/asset protection attorney.

Douglass Lodmell is the nations #1 Asset Protection attorney and has clients in all 50 states, protecting over $4 Billion in client assets. Answers given by him in this forum do not establish an attorney-client relation. He advises to seek a specialized attorney in the area of your interest for legal representation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer