Skip to main content

How do we change names on utility and property tax bill when a parent is put in nursing home and daughter is remaining in resede

Cinnaminson, NJ |

I am POA of my mother ,she is totally disabled, lives at home and my sister lives with her and is primary care giver . Mom goes to a senior day at the present time . We are in the process of a nursing home because her disability is increasing.She is on Medicaid and we were told that because my sister has lived there all her life they can't take the house. we can't and for many reason' don't want to put the deed of the house in my sister's name.What do we do to make her legally responsible for utilities and property tax's as long as she resides there

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Disclaimer: I am not licensed in NJ. Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied on because each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate any legal problem without a comprehensive review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

You need to consult with a qualified Elder Law attorney. NJ law may provide that your sister's living with your mother in mom's house for 2 years prior to going into a nursing home for the purpose of providing care will be enough to preclude a post-death estate recovery lien. Only a qualified NJ attorney can tell you if your family has done enough to ward off a lien.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer