Skip to main content

How do transfer california s-corporation original documents/receipts and retain a legal copy of the documents for my records?

Torrance, CA |

I am in the process of dissolving a California S-Corporation. My business partner has completely dead-locked the process and is demanding all original company documents/receipts. I have sent him copies of the originals which he has refused due to the fact that they are photocopies. My current attorney is advising me to capitulate to his demands for original documents and deliver them to him. These documents contain all the proof as to how our business was conducted for over six years. My concern is that once I deliver the records to him that he may destroy or lose the documents rendering the business a he said she said. My former business partner is very litigious and has been in many lawsuits and is not trustworthy. How do I protect myself while moving the dissolution forward?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Do what your "current attorney" says. Keep copies of everything.
FEEDBACK: Both AVVO and other readers are interested in your feedback on the quality of the answers. Plz check the “thumbs up” symbol if you find an answer helpful or the “thumbs down” symbol if not.
DISCLAIMER–This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. The answer could be different if all the facts were known. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. I am admitted only in California.
(Bryant) Keith Martin


You've asked this question before, and nothing in terms of the question or answers have changed, except now you say you've got your own lawyer who's advising you. You'd be very unwise to disregard that advice from someone you've hired to analyze this sitaution and who knows the details.

The only thing I'd add, again, is to keep a record of what you've sent, and not just copies, but scanned documents sent via registered email ( so you can prove exactly what you provided and when if necessary.

I'm only licensed in CA. Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer