Skip to main content

How do resolve a bench warrent in dane county

Madison, WI |
Attorney answers 3


A "bench warrant" is normally issued by a judge when a defendant fails to appear as required for court. If that is your situation, the warrant gets cleared when one of two things happens. (1) you are arrested and placed in jail or (2) when an attorney persuades the court to lift or vacate its warrant. Number 2 requires the assistance of qualified criminal defense counsel. My recommendation is that you start speaking privately with one or more suitable lawyers. Most here offer free consultations. Take advantage of that to educate yourself on the available options and the likely legal fees involved. Good luck.


Retain a local criminal defense lawyer to help you. Typically, warrants are issued when a defendant fails to appear for a hearing. I'm not sure what your circumstances are. But, I would suggest you consult a local criminal defense lawyer to help you. Good luck.


You can either get a lawyer to try and arrange a walk-in, or turn yourself in at the jail. If you choose the latter, do it early in the morning early in the week to cut down on the amount of time you will sit before being brought before the Judge, and ask to speak to the public defender asap after turning in. Even this latter option will work out better for you than making them catch you.

Good luck.

This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the specifics of the case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer