Skip to main content

How do i voluntarily close a workers compensation case and reopen an old one???

Chandler, AZ |

I filed and received WC benefits 10 years ago. I recently reaggravated the same injury at work during a fire drill. I filed a claim with the new employer, but i think i need to close this one and reopen the old case. Is that right and how do I close the new case that I have already requested a hearing for since my most recent employer denied my benefits. I am no longer with that employer as they have terminated me for not being able to work.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This is a tough one to answer, because there is not always a well defined line between old and new injuries. Is it the old injury? Was the old injury aggravated by the new injury? Is it a temporary or permanent aggravation? Is it a new injury?

Ultimately, medical expert opinion is required to sort out this type of situation. In he meantime, the most prudent course may be to file a Petition to Reopen the old claim, if you have medical support.

I think that your next step is to obtain current medical records and have them reviewed by an attorney. We are happy to do so. Thanks.




I agree with the other opinion here and suggest you see an attorney before you decide. If you have aggravated the earlier injury it is usually a new claim rather than reopening

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by providing feedback that the answer was either "helpful" or "best answer" as appropriate. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Connell is a Colorado attorney licensed in only that state. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question.


I would not close either case as a hearing officer could find your original injuries are the cause of your disabilities. Also, you may very well be entitled to SSDI benefits. Have you applied?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer