Skip to main content

How do I vacate a Collision involving personal injury on my driving record?

Chicago, IL |

I was in an accident back in 2011. There was no personal injury for either party but for some reason, when i got my driving record from the DMV, it said "Accident" and then below "Collision Involving Personal Injury." This is making my insurance go up a lot. Is there any way to get this removed from my driving record?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Did you report it to your then-carrier?

Did you let it go to judgment?

Did you enter an installment agreement?

Without knowing more, it's hard to answer.

First step is talk to a traffic lawyer to see if there is anything to expunge or reconsider on your record. This may or may not affect insurance rates.

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.


Did you have automobile insurance coverage at the time? I would contact or visit your local DMV and ask them for advise on how to proceed.

These comments are merely opinions, not legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. Therefore, if you have additional questions, I highly recommend you contact an attorney in your state with knowledge of the applicable state laws. I am licensed to practice in Missouri and Illinois and my firm represents personal injury victims.


Contact your insurance broker or agent.


This is why insurance agents are still important. Don't just buy insurance online. Go to a real person and take some time to explain the situation and see how to rectify the situation using their expertise.

Sending an email or posting a question does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney client privilege. The comments and opinions expressed in Jon Groth's comments are intended for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Reading or using the information in this blog does not create the existence of an attorney-client privilege. Due to the changing nature of the law, the blog posts may contain dated material. For an update on the current law and the application of the law to your particular facts and circumstances, consult a legal advisor. The information contained herein is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney licensed in your state.


Have a local traffic court lawyer look into it

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer