Skip to main content

How do I update USCIS if I've moved during a pending family-based adjustment of status?

Sherman Oaks, CA |

My wife is in the states legally on an OPT extension to her student visa. I am a U.S. citizen and late last year we filed an adjustment of status packet for my wife. We just moved within the state. I understand that I have to file an "I-865 change of address for a sponsor," and that my wife has to submit an AR-11 for her OPT and that we both have to update our address online for the pending case. My questions are:

Does she also have to submit a separate AR-11 for the pending I-485?
Do I (as a US Citizen) have to submit an AR-11 for the pending I-130?
Is there any other action we need to take to update USCIS of our change of address?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Write a separate letter for each application pending with the USCIS. Also file AR-11 towards alien change of address.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.



Do I also have file an AR-11? The reason I ask is the AR-11 asks for an alien number, but I am a US citizen.

Tripti Sharad Sharma

Tripti Sharad Sharma


All aliens are to file AR 11.


I agree with my colleague.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Look at the AR-11 carefully for your wife and you will see at the end is a step 2 etc. to report change of address for all pending cases. Be sure to do this as well.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


File an AR 11. If you send a letter for each pending application you must include the application receipt number.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


File an AR 11 and letter informing change of address for each application

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer