Skip to main content

How do i transfer my guardianship from one state to another. I received guardianship in ga but I've moved to fl

Blountstown, FL |

Mother has no job and is a minor ward of the state herself. She now wants to pursue her custodial rights of the infant minor in my custody. I want to go from temporary to permanent guardian

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Get to an attorney. You would want to file a formal guardianship here in FL and have the court here honor, or at least recognize, the GA order. A formal guardianship is very time consuming, but if that is what you want, that is what you can get. Your question is quite confusing as to who is the guardian and who is the ward, and who wants to do what.


As Mr. DeGroot has told you, it is important that you see a Florida Guardianship attorney.

My experience here in Pennsylvania has been that our courts here won't recognize a guardianship order from another state. For guardians who want to move their wards (or incapacitated persons) across state lines, we have to start another guardianship case "from scratch".

I am aware that there is a proposed Uniform Guardianship Law which may someday take care of this problem, but we're not there yet.

Best bet: See a Florida Guardianship lawyer.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Flood and Masiuk, LLC and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.


Seek out an attorney who practices in the field of guardianship. He or she can help you file the authenticated order of your appointment with the Clerk of Court in the county where the ward now resides.