Skip to main content

How do I take up FTE inspite of non compete agreement with current employer?

Dallas, TX |

I work for a consulting company and have a non compete agreement which states that I agree not to take up employment from any entity that I work at while I am with my current employer and upto 2 years after that. Can client hire me with their sister company? No where is it mentioned that I cant take up full time with my client's sister or partner companies in the agreement. Please advice if my employer can sue me if I get hired by client's partners. Note: both companies are different. Thanks!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


They can sue you. The liklihood of the suit being a success depends on how the non-competition agreement is written. The Supreme Court of the state of Texas has recently made changes which make non-competition agreements much more enforceable. I would very much recommend that you hire a lawyer to review the agreement, and the facts, and advise you of your rights and obligations. A small amount of money spent now could really save a bunch being spent later. I hope you found this response helpful! If so, please take a second and click the “helpful” button below. If you were really impressed, you could even click the “best answer” button! Thank you and best of luck.

The above comments are based only on the information presented in your online question and are not meant as specific legal advice and should not be relied upon by you as legal advice. There may be other facts which would impact your situation which may not be included in your question. I have not been retained as your lawyer, and I do not possess enough information to give you a legal opinion on the outcome of your dispute nor can I completely answer your question without an opportunity to fully discuss all of the facts of your situation. I can only be retained as your lawyer by both of us signing a written engagement letter. You should retain a lawyer to advise you before making any decisions relating to the issues raised in your online inquiry. You should retain a lawyer quickly, because there may be time limits which impact your legal situation. I HAVE NOT PROVIDED ANY LEGAL ADVICE TO YOU AND URGE YOU TO GET A LAYWER. I provide a free initial consultation. If you are interested in talking with me, please call 713-666-1981.