Skip to main content

How do I take someone's name off title/deed who is presently incarcerated?

Bridgeport, CT |

And can he use the house as collertal for his lawyer fees without my consent?
Me and my ex have a house together but he left in Nov 2006 and hasn't paid anything in the house it was in foreclosure, the foreclosure has been withdrawn and dismissed....the other person has been incarcerated since June 2011.....he won't sign off and I offered to buy him out but he hasn't been cooperating at all.....what can I do? Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


owning real estate with others can often times be a problem. unfortunately you are experiencing some difficulty. you cannot get someone to "sign off" the property unless that person is willing to do so voluntarily. having said that the co-owner can put up his undivided share as collateral , in this instance to secure an atty fee. you can start what in connecticut is called an Action in Partition. it can be and often is costly and time consuming. you should consult an atty of your choice immediately.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer