Skip to main content

How do I stop online harassment?

New York, NY |

I'm being harassed via social media, but I don't know who is doing it or how many people are behind it. Is there something I can legally do to stop it?

They are writing harassing and defamatory things about me and others. I don't know if the people doing it live in my state....would they be harder to sue if they live out of state? What sort of attorney specializes in cyberbullying/harassment?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to report it to the police. They will handle it on a criminal end. However, you do not mention the nature of the harassment. They may be other options if it is defamatory. Feel free to email our office more specifics.

Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.


More information is needed to evaluate. Contact one of the above lawyers in your state to discuss in detail


Hire an intel specialist to trace the source; report it to the police; lock down options on your social media.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.