Skip to main content

How do I stop my HOA from approving another special assessment for on-going legal fees?

Scotts Valley, CA |

Our HOA believes it has case against builder for road construction in the neighborhood. It already spent our money (including reserves) on Lawsuit. It has already passed one special assessment for more fees to continue suit. It now wants another assessment which I don't support or cant afford.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You are a member of a common interest development association and you do not have the right to cherry pick the assessments you pay. Your only option is to convince the board that the litigation should be dropped or continued only on terms you can afford.

You should review your CC&Rs to make certain the assessments are authorized. You might also want to review the CC&Rs for ADR requirements and institute ADR to address this issue.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer