Skip to main content

How do I stop from losing my community property with my ex-husband; our house.

Holbrook, AZ |

I was in a default divorce hearing, I was in default. I was on the phone with the court during the hearing. I have a tape of the hearing which states that the court ordered us to keep our house to sell at a later, mutually agreed upon date. This was what was agreed to during the hearing and on tape, however the court documents state that I will "sign the documentation quit claiming her interest to the residence." Now the ex is trying to get me to sign documentation to that effect, when it's not what was agreed to verbally during the hearing. There is a mistake on the court paperwork. This hearing was in Holbrook, Arizona.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Usually the terms of the Petition govern what the Court orders upon default. If you believe that the final court order differs, you should consult with your own family law attorney to review the documentation and clarify whether the Court made a mistake or explain what happened.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.


I would file a Motion to Correct Mistake or a Motion for Clarification to have the court address the problem.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "HELPFUL" or "THE BEST ANSWER," PLEASE MARK IT SO AS AVVO AWARDS THE ATTORNEY POINTS. All attorneys providing answers on this site are donating their time and not financially compensated.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer