Skip to main content

How do I start to get custody of my son if the mother recently was arrested for drug charges.

Dallas, TX |

She has full custody at the moment. With the recent arrest, I feel it is better that my son live with me. She has moved 3 times since August and my son is not getting the pproper education, support he needs.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Get a lawyer. File a petition to modify. Ask for emergency orders, i.e. attachment of the child, then temporary orders. You'll never get it done without a lawyer.

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.


I agree with Attorney Moore. You need to get a petition for modification in ASAP before she moves again or your child is in further danger. Talk to a local attorney about filing a modification, getting attachment, and putting in motions for a drug test and some new temporary orders.


This is really not a Do-it-yourself case. You really need an attorney who can represent you on this one. Good Luck!


You should file to modify custody. Always use a lawyer when a child is at risk, like here.

This answer is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice nor forming the attorney client relationship. This attorney is licensed in Texas.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer