Skip to main content

How do I start a legal defense fund, via the internet?

Voorhees, NJ |

I ran out of money to pay for my divorce. What if I were to start an on-line defense fund, to help pay the cost? What are the legal ramifications? Should I use a webpage on Social media? My husband is a medical doctor, he tricked me out of the marital home a year ago, he can still afford to pay his legal expenses, I however, ran out of money. My divorce trial is January 2013. I am not proud or ashamed (although my husband should be). I have to meet my financial obligations, and fast.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Presumably you can seek a loan or set up a request for loans. But the question is why your husband is not contributing toward your fees.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed


I certainly think there may be legal ramifications to set up a legal defense fund involving tax laws for 501(c)'s and the like although I have seen similar things done as fund-raisers for medical bills, but those are usually run as community events. However, as the other attorney posted, if your husband is well off and can afford to pay your legal bills, you need to have a motion for pendite lite support, which means support that you can obtain before the judgment of divorce. While you may find forms to do this at a local law library (usually at your county's courthouse, it is better to do it with an attorney.

DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you have entered into a fee agreement with the Law Office of Anthony J. Van Zwaren, P.C. and have paid the required fees. The information contained in this email may be privileged. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained within it by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments from your system and notify us.


I suggest that you ask the Court to award you money towards a legal retainer to be paid by your husband.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer