Skip to main content

How do i seek damages from a person i have a protection order against?

Waterville, ME |

my former spouse damaged property in my apartment, he paid for nothing i had to have him removed due to phisical abuse.. how can i get damages from the property he destroyed?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you have renter's insurance, make a claim with your insurer.

If you do not have insurance and if he is charged criminally, the easiest way to collect is to request restitution through the District Attorney's Office. Speak with the Victim Witness Advocate. If the court orders restitution, he is likely to pay it because if he does not he has a jail sentence hanging over his head.

If he is not charged criminally and the damage is less than $6,000, then you probably need to file a small claims court complaint. The problem with filing suit is that you have issues with collecting any sum that is ordered. If the value of the property exceeds $6,000, see an attorney.