Skip to main content

How do I respond to a petition to partition by Licitation if I am opposed to it

Bedford, TX |

Need to know how to word the response. The company is trying to do a forced sale on undivided property in Louisiana

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Partition by licitation - also known as partition by sale - is typically requested when a property cannot be subdivided.

If the property is large enough to be subdivided, then you can counter for partition by subdivision - also known as a partition in kind.

Generally speaking, a co-owner is free to seek partition when you do not agree to sell the property, buy them out at fair market value or divide it in kind.

You will need to consult with a local TX attorney to determine what defenses you might have.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer