Skip to main content

How do i report my landlord for an unsafe home the he does not keep up with?

Los Angeles, CA |

i found evidence of rats and several openings which were very unsafe for my 1 and a half year old to live in. i pay rent and expect my landlord to keep up with his responsiblities. there are leaks from the roof whrn it rains a i need pliers to turn my shower on!! when i found the rats i had to leave to my moms house when i had paid my months rent .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Conditions that make the place uninhabitable can be reported to the building department or the health department in your county. The link below had some helpful information.

Stephanie White
Simi Valley, CA

DISCLAIMER: The above is not legal advice nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship with the person posting the question or any person reading the above. There is no attorney-client relationship between any reader and this writer or her firm. These comments are not subject to any privilege protections. They are neither privileged nor confidential. The information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. Accordingly these comments cannot be relied upon as the law and the facts may differ from those with which the reader of this communication may be dealing.

The following disclosure is required pursuant to IRS Circular 230: unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.


Dear tenant,

The landlord is responsible to repair "all dilapidations" of the premises, including repairing leaks and exterminating rates. You are in Los Angeles. Therefore, put in a call to the Los Angeles Housing Department, at 866-557-RENT. Ask for a Code Enforcement Inspector to come out, and he (or she) will order your landlord to make the necessary repairs. Anyone not in L.A. proper but in L.A. County should call the Los Angeles County Health Department and report the conditions. Like the inspectors in the Housing Department, the inspectors in the Health Department also have authority to issue Orders to Comply. The links are below.


Fran Campbell