Skip to main content

How do I report a parolee who is doing something against the law?

Blanca, CO |

We live in Colorado & have a friend who's out on parole who keeps driving around with his daughter & doesn't have a license or insurance. He just recently got served by a cop for domestic violence but they didn't arrest him.
He has a little girl he won't give back to the mother & drives her to a babysitter everyday while he goes to work then picks her up.
He said when he gets off parole he's moving where the mother cant find them.
We've told the state patrol & went to the local police as instructed, but everyone keeps telling us to go back to the state patrol & then back to the local police.
His parole officer & boss have become close buddies, and they help hide his daughter from the mother. My wife & I are sick about the safety of this child but nobody will do anything. What can we do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

The problem here is that you are trying to do something when only the mother has the real interest in handling this matter. If they have a divorce pending then she needs either temporary orders or a contempt citation or motion to affect custody and parenting time. If no divorce is pending, she must file immediately. Once she files divorce, or if a divorce is pending, she can get an order against leaving the state.

Law enforcement in Colorado is unfortunately sometimes very poor indeed. As a former police officer I am appalled at some of the current attitudes. However, it is what it is. Mother can get the judge to straighten everything out, and she needs an attorney -- at least an attorney consultation.

Like many attorneys we will sit down and review your situation with you without charge.

Your best bet is to find a good lawyer who provides advice on this kind of issue on a regular basis and review your specific facts; the lawyer will be able to give you an analysis of the law and your options.

By the way, some attorneys sell "unbundled" or "limited" legal services where you pay for just what you need and can afford. For example, some attorneys will prepare letters for you to sign, legal documents, or sell the paperwork for the court filings; then you can proceed on your own, but knowing that your paperwork is correct and having a road map as to how to proceed. Or who will attend a hearing for a flat fee even if they are not handling the whole case. Neighborhood Law Office is such a firm.

At Neighborhood Law Office we never charge for an initial consultation, and at that meeting we can go through your specific facts and give you options. Please call us anytime for an appointment.

Thanks, Jim

Jim Underhill
Neighborhood Law Office
7225 E. Hampden Ave.
Denver, CO 80224
303-302-1001 fax

NOTICE— This answer is based upon a partial understanding of the facts and may not be relied upon as legal advice. It does not create an attorney client relationship between the writer and the attorney. It is provided for general information. You should always consult an attorney about your important legal rights.


That is quite a set of circumstances. Might I dare suggest putting something in writing for local law enforcement authoriites. Understand that once something appears in writing, it is there forever. CSP has limited jurisdiction in Colorado. They are interested in highway problems. If you have a local Sheriff's Department, you might try those folks as well.

If this is your friend, can you sit down with him and tell him that he is rolling the dice much too frequently?

Good luck!


What is your interest in all of this. Is this "friend" harming the child. Is the mother of the child having any objection with the child being with this "friend" of yours. You are indeed hiding something. Let me be frank What is your beef here. Unless you have an interest or some real harm is being done to the child you should mind yoir own business and let the mother of the child take the appropriate action. Sometimes, in life if you have no interest in the situation of this "friend" you should mind your own business and take care of your own family. If your friend is not breaking the law the police cannot interfere. From the information you have given you may not have any legal standing to even contact poilce if there is no violation of the law and you are not affected. You have not stated one thing that would indicate that thsi "friend' of yours is causing any safety concerns for the child. You are hiding certain essential facts. You just having a hunch for the safety of the child is meaningless unless you can support the fear of lack of safety for child with some solid facts. I am blunt and frank so do not take any offense.

All the Best

All the Best

No attorney client relationship is established or intended. Contact a local lawyer for specificity as to the facts in your case. This is for general information only. Check our website for more information as to disclaimers and information herein. I have taken no action on your problem other than to review your question nor have I given any legal advise. I want to confirm that no attorney-client relationship has been created between myself or our firm and you in connection with this matter, and that nothing in this response is legal advice to you. As you may know, the legislature and the courts can change the law in ways that may affect the strength of your case. In addition, the circumstances of your case may change. Because we do not represent you, we cannot keep track of, and inform you about, any change in the law. I must warn you that there are time limits for raising certain claims and defenses. Without taking more time to review your case, this firm nor its attorney (s) cannot properly advise about those deadlines. You may lose your claims and defenses if they are not filed in court within the time allowed. I would advise you to retain the services of an attorney as soon as possible.

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Daniel Nelson Deasy


I wondered the same thing -- what is the interest?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer