Skip to main content

How do I remove my ex-husband's name from the title of the the car I was ordered in the divorce?

Tampa, FL |

My husband and I are divorced and I was ordered the car I am driving. My ex refuses to sign the paperwork necessary to take his name off the title to the car. I contacted the lein holder and they will not remove his name because the financing is in both of our names. I cannot take his name off the loan without refinancing the car and the current lein holder does not refinance. I got pulled over yesterday and the cop informed me my ex's driver's lisence is suspended. I was pulled over because the registration is due this month and when he ran the plates the suspended lisence came up. No ticket was issued but I am not sure what to do about this issue.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

File a motion for contempt. The judge will probably order your husband to sign it over at the hearing.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.


You can file a motion in court to compel your ex to sign the title over to you or be held in contempt. You may also ask the court to authorize the clerk to sign on your exes behalf.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer