Skip to main content

How do I remove my ex-husband's name from the deed to the house, per our MSA?

Paramus, NJ |

I cannot get a home equity loan until it's removed. Can this be done without paying an assumption fee to the mortgage holder or more money to a lawyer?

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce Real estate
Attorney answers 2


You and your husband can execute a quitclaim deed to you only conveying all rights to the property. Whether or not you should do this without a lawyer is a different issue, because there are other steps required in filing a deed with the county clerk's office that need to be prepared, and recording fees to be paid. However, this can probably be done for a reasonable fee. I cannot comment on the matter of the mortgage and whether there are any assumption fees, but having the property conveyed from one spouse to another is a common occurrence following a divorce.

DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you have entered into a fee agreement with the Law Office of Anthony J. Van Zwaren, P.C. and have paid the required fees. The information contained in this email may be privileged. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained within it by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments from your system and notify us.


Be aware that changing the names on a deed may be cause for your mortgage lender to accelerate the mortgage note - meaning if you do not first obtain your lender's approval to change the names on the deed, and do so anyway, your lender will likely require you to pay the entire amount owed. A review of your mortgage loan documents should provide some guidance.

It's been my experience that when one of the owners takes exclusive title, the mortgage lender requires refinancing to put the debt entirely on the new owner. Because these are both serious consequences, I strongly advise you to retain counsel to assist you in this matter. I wish you the best.

Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196,, or If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. Answering questions on does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain your own counsel. Information and answers posted to this website are for general informational purposes only.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer