Skip to main content

How do I remove a lawyer from my divorce?

Glenwood, IA |

Over a year ago he filed the opening complaint to my divorce and has since no longer responded to any forms of communication I have attempted. I want to get my divorce finalized but need to remove him from the case. How can I do this when I can't get into contact with him?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I am sorry that you are going through this, a divorce is hard enough without having to go through the added stress. I would call one more time, then send a letter, email and fax just to cover all bases telling the attorney you want to move the case or for him or her to withdraw. If you do not receive a response then file a motion with the court to have the attorney removed from the case and attach the proof of attempted correspondence with it. Take care and hope things work out.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


Ask him to voluntarily withdraw, and formalize that with the court. If he refuses, you will have to file a motion to have him removed.

Legal disclaimer: In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with the previous posts, but also suggest that you inquire about disciplinary action available through your state bar. If your attorney has not responded to communication for over one year, then there has likely been a violation of local ethical rules.


You know, in addition, you could simply hire new divorce counsel, have them file a notice of appearance as successor counsel, and proceed from there. Face it, if you do not want the attorney on the case, they will probably be happy to withdraw for whatever reason. Sometimes it is simply better to make a fresh start new counsel. I am sorry that you are going through this. I agree with my colleagues that this may have dire ethical ramifications for this practitioner, if he is still licensed and practicing, unless of course he is retired or deceased. Still, it sounds very odd. You may want to contact the local Bar Association and make an inquiry. Good luck.

The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect information which is primarily based upon general legal principals, and may additionally reflect Ohio principles of legal practice, as this is the primary location of this Attorney's practice. As with any legal advice, the advise is general in character, and should not be put into practice without specifically consulting your local counsel, who will possess far more insight into the applicable standards and laws of your specific State, your case's specific issues and the local Rules of Court and practices of the specific jurisdiction your legal action is governed by. You are specifically instructed : Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local Attorney. This Office does not provide free legal advice by telephone. A 15 Minute Consultation can be obtained at no cost for certain types of legal cases, but to obtain same, an Office appointment is required. Provision of the answers to general questions does not constitute an act of representation, and the Attorney shall not be deemed to accept employment based upon the responses contained herein. The reader is advised that they utilize the general suggestions contained in the responses at their own risk, and under no circumstances should they disregard the advise of their present local legal counsel based upon any suggestions or opinions contained herein. Also, the bast method to discuss a case with an attorney is to do so directly, by scheduling a formal consultation in their office, bringing with you at the time of the meeting all of your relevant paperwork, including any contratcs, any Orders from Court, decrees, complaints, pleadings, etc., and any other relevant information for the attorney to review. General information via the internet is no substitute for an actual meeting with an attorney. The advice provided on line in response to the limited information is provided without charge. It is also provided without the benefit of face to face discussions, so before you act--consult an attorney in person.